Client is one of the most popular and successful automobile brands in the Middle East boasting of a strong line-up ranging from popular passenger cars to powerful 4x4 series and commercial vehicles.
In its quest to closely understand the local needs of its customers, our client set up a regional Middle East head quarters in Dubai.
|Client||One of the largest automotive company in the world|
|Project Start Date||2006|
|Project End Date/ Status||2008|
|Project Locations||Dubai, UAE|
|Number of concurrent Users||150 users across Middle East|
|ID Team Size||
|Technology Stack||Oracle Developer Forms 6i/10g, Oracle database 9i, Oracle 10g Real Application Cluster, Oracle 10g Rel2 Application Server Cluster, Redhat Linux Enterprise, MS Windows 2003 Cluster, IBM Blade and Storage|
|Integration||EDI, SAP Financials, BI|
Client ’s IT scenario before ID association
Client was using manual processing for inventory management, order management, Logistics, Re-invoicing for the transactions between the client, Japan HQ and client distributors in various locations. Flow of information amongst Client, Japan HQ and Client distributors, involved high levels of human intervention and hence the processes were time consuming, resource intensive and prone to errors. Absence of a centralized and versatile IT system also meant that lot of limitations in terms of forecasting, resource planning, adhering to local standards, etc
Why/How ID was Chosen as the Technology Partner
Our client being a quality conscious company with Mission Critical systems uses rigorous methods to evaluate and select the right technology partner. The company chose ID for the following value propositions
- Proven expertise in product development and life cycle management
- 15 years of ID ’ s and its SMEs ’experience at both domain and technology levels
- ID Relationship with client since 1997 in various projects
- Technology Partnership with Oracle, Microsoft and other industry leaders
- Vast experience in supporting clients with multiple geographical locations
ID proposed an Outsourced Product Development solution, which is a centralized system for client and its distributors that addressed all their concerns and business challenges. The system facilitates access of business data by various distributors based on pre defined business rules. It also supports B2B interfacing using standard EDI. This solution effectively handles Inventory, Order, Invoicing, Logistics, Shipping and Shipment tracking along with the compatibility to integrate with SAP modules and third party software. The developed product has four modules viz. DBS (Distributed Business Support), NBD (New System development), Logistics and SAP Interface with three systems (NOCS, NORRIS, PRISM), which addressed the challenges faced by the clients.
Solution was delivered in phased approach, which consists of three phases. During the first phase NOCS and NORRIS systems were developed in six months timeframe followed by ten months production support. The Second phase started at the end of NOCS and NORRIS development that delivered PRISM system in ten months time frame followed by ten months production support. The Second phase started at the end of NOCS and NORRIS developmenthat delivered PRISM system in ten months time frame followed by ten months production support.
As part of Phase 3, ID database services group has deployed Oracle 10g Application Server on Windows 2003 Cluster in IBM Hardware. As best migration practice, ID has migrated Oracle 9i Database to Oracle 10g RAC on Redhat Linux cluster. Implementation was successfully completed as per Oracle best practice document and tested with various test cases for Fail over and Load balancing. As second stage, Application was migrated to Forms/Reports 10g and deployed with Oracle 10g Database incremental backup update. Entire migration was carried out using following Industry best methodology,
- Project Initiation and Study
- Low level Design System design for Database and Middleware
- Application and Database bench marking for testing
- Prototype for Database and Application Migration
- System and UAT Testing against Bench Mark reports
- Enhancements and Bug fixes
- Production Database migration
- Production Application Migration
- Documentation and Project closure
- Collaboration with various stake holders in various locations
- Transforming partners and business users to a web based system from rich client server architecture.
- Heterogeneous DB connectivity with oracle and SQL for BI reports
- Withdrawal of Oracle Rule Based Optimizer technology and De-support for this issues during migration to Database 10g
- Limitation of Oracle Forms 10g for building seamless interface with client OS for printing and File I/O.
- Centralized and versatile system with the ability to meet and adapt to business challenges and requirements
- Automated System Administration with Oracle 10g Database
- Highly improved performance with Oracle Database and Application Server 10g.
- Real-time Status
- Shipment Tracking
- Quick turnaround
- Cost effective
- Seamlessly integrated with SAP Finance
- Quick Data access across distributors increasing business efficiency
- Business rules based Alerts helps client/distributor to manage pro actively